case sensitivity and filenames

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) lhall@rfk.com
Thu May 15 00:09:00 GMT 2003

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> At 15:19 2003-05-14, Frank wrote:

>> I found a thread about coolview, do you think this would resolve the
>> problem...
>

> I think you should live within the limits of the system you're using.
> Bucking this is likely only to cause you grief, since it's pretty deeply
> ingrained.
>
> Others will have different opinions.
>
> I don't know what CoolView is, at least not in a context that refers to
> how alphabetic case for file names is handled.

Coolview is a patched version of an ancient Cygwin DLL (circa B18)
that Sergey Okhapkin kept for a while.  It had some limited capabilities
for creating and using file names in a case-sensitive manner.  It's old
enough to be irrelevant to all but the staunchest of diehards.  Those
interested in the tradeoffsof  case-sensitive tools may find it interesting
to review the email archives on this subject.  But Randall is quite right.
You won't get anything here without some pain and suffering.

--
Holliston, MA 01746