bash: tar: command not found

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 11 22:29:00 GMT 2007

Cheney, Christian wrote:

learn.to/quote <-- please do (no TOFU*, in particular)

And PCYMTNQREAIYR* while you are at it.

(*http://cygwin.com/acronyms)

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 01:57:33PM -0700, Cheney, Christian wrote:
>> I have installed cygwin on Windows XP using the default setup.  When I
>> try to use tar, I am getting "bash: tar: command not found."  If I try
>> to reinstall tar using the setup utility, it copies some files, but
> then
>> gives a "no package" note, and tar still won't work in cygwin.  Any
>> ideas how to fix this?  Thank you.
>
> The details mentioned here would probably help:
>  VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> Please expound.  Been there, done that.  Hence, the post.

I didn't see cygcheck output attached to your previous post. Therefore,
you either did not follow the instructions, or your mailer is broken.

--
Matthew
Not to be used as a flotation device.