How to properly set up /etc/passwd and /etc/group

Wes Barris wesb@wesbarris.com
Wed Mar 3 00:35:00 GMT 2010

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 01/03/2010 23:08, Wes Barris wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:

>>>   That suggests you set your uid and gid to 4294967295, aka -1, aka
>>> 'nobody';
>>> that's probably not a good thing.
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I changed my uid an gid in my passwd file to 4294967295 because that
>> is what ls -ln showed.  If that is not a good thing to do what is
>> the right thing to do?
>
>   Hi Wes,
>
>     The right thing to do is to leave your uid/gid in the way that mkpasswd
> and mkgrp choose, because that gives the cygwin dll the information it needs
> to link them back to your actual user account in the windows OS permissions.
> The other right thing to do is to then figure out what's going wrong with your
> W: drive, and why the perms on it are wrong.  Is this some kind of network
> drive, by any chance?

My W: drive is a mapped network drive.  However, it is mapped to a
share coming from the same physical computer.  This drive contains
all of my data including a folder that I wish to use as my home
directory (W: is mapped to //mycomputer/share/home).

The contents of this drive was copied from my previous computer
on which I used the same username.  The file ownerships appear
to be ok when viewed though the Windows Explorer security tab.
I can create and delete files via Windows Explorer so the permissions
appear to be ok.  However, cygwin does not recognize the same files
as being owned by me.
--
Wes Barris