XWin in Multiwindow mode - window opens up 8 pixels from the left

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Jul 5 18:32:00 GMT 2015

On 05/07/2015 16:11, Michael DePaulo wrote:
> I've noticed that if I start XWin in -multiwindow mode:
> xwin -multiwindow
> And then open up a window in what should be the top-left corner of the screen:
> $ xlogo -geometry 2048x1152+0+0
> The window instead opens up 8 pixels from the left:
> http://imgur.com/89iWRgg
>
> I am not sure if this is intentional behavior of the internal window
> manager, or a bug. Either way, I thought I would mention it.
>
> It does not occur in Rootless mode.

I think this behaviour is intended.

When we apply the window style to the window, the position of the window
is adjusted to ensure that window decorations at the top-left are
visible.  See [1].  To do otherwise would make it unnecessarily
difficult to move the window.

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jturney/xserver/tree/hw/xwin/winmultiwindowwndproc.c?h=cygwin-patches-for-1.17#n1249

--