vim: errors launching "/usr/bin/vi

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Thu Dec 21 03:01:54 GMT 2023

On 2023-12-20 12:47, matthew patton wrote:
>>> No, because that's system-wide.
>>> Vi vs Vim is a personal choice. Also alternatives is for supporting
>>> multiple

>> Most of us run Cygwin on a device called a /Personal Computer/ that allows
>>  us to make our own choices about OS, desktop UI, services, and
>> configuration. ;^>
> yeah, yeah I know. It doesn't give license to pervert "correct behavior" though. :)

Most distros differ in their default packages and configurations for server and
desktop editions, so "correct behaviour" may also differ.

Cygwin tends to go along with Fedora desktop decisions: some features are
disabled in some packages because FESCo does not agree with some packaging
decisions or component sources.

I know some of this because I went looking to see if certain packages were
available and/or provided by default on some distro server and desktop editions,
and found that most of those decisions and that information is not really
documented in any obvious place, just implemented, so you would have to install
and run the editions to find out!

--

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry